Ways to Give
Funds donated to the Foundation are disbursed within the Calaveras community in three distinct ways:
1) Each year the Foundation funds over a dozen local groups that provide unique services that might otherwise be ignored. Since the Foundation’s inception in 2000, over $655,000 has been distributed to worthy causes, through competitive grants, scholarships and assistance. CLICK HERE to review grant recipients of the last five years.
2) In addition, there are over 25 select funds established within the Foundation to benefit specific causes. CLICK HERE to review existing funds that the Foundation manages and administers checks. You may also choose to create a legacy or establish a fund with the Foundation. See Planned Giving ideas below.
3) Each year, the Foundation through our Scholarship funds, support competitive grants to worthy senior students at both Calaveras High School and Bret Harte High School. CLICK HERE to review current scholarship funds.
Your donation to the Foundation can have significant tax advantages and can be made in a number of ways:
Write a check to the Foundation. Contributions of any amount are welcome. Even small amounts add up and can make a real difference. You can also donate online using a credit card.
Consider making a gift in honor of a friend or family member who is celebrating a birthday, wedding or professional accomplishment. The Foundation will advise your honoree of your gift, and both of you can feel proud that the funds will be put to good use.
Consider making a gift in memory of a loved one, friend or business colleague who has died. The Foundation can send an acknowledgement to the family advising them of your thoughtfulness.
Donate stock, bonds or real estate. As a tax-exempt organization, the Foundation can sell appreciated assets without paying capital gains and can apply the full amount of the proceeds for charitable purposes.
Name the Foundation as a beneficiary of your life insurance policy.
Name the Foundation as a beneficiary of your retirement plan. As a tax-exempt organization, the Foundation can withdraw funds from a tax-deferred account without income tax liability and apply the full amount of the funds for charitable purposes.
Name the Foundation as a beneficiary in your will or revocable trust. You can defer your gift until after your death, knowing that your legacy will live on after you are gone.
Establish a fund at the Foundation. With only $1,000, you, your family, your service group or your business can establish a named fund at the Foundation that can be designed to accomplish your particular charitable goals.
- A donor-advised fund allows you or another named advisor to suggest when and how funds will be disbursed.
- A designated fund supports a specific community project or organization you select.
- A field-of-interest fund restricts disbursements to one or more fields of interest, such as education, health, social services, recreation, arts or the environment.
- A scholarship fund provides financial support for students in the County or at a particular school and can be designated for particular studies. The Foundation handles all the paperwork and distribution of the funds awarded and can work with you to design the fund to accomplish your goals.
Funds can be established as endowment or non-endowment funds, as described below:
- An endowment fund is intended to last in perpetuity. Principal is left to grow, and only income is used for the purposes of the fund.
- A non-endowment fund is intended to be used within a reasonably short period of time unless additional contributions are made. Both principal and income are used for the purposes of the fund.
You can make a lasting difference. Contact the Foundation for additional information on how you can create your legacy in Calaveras County. We welcome calls and emails with questions.